Place: Online studies on Learn eLearning platform
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: All students interested in this subject
Lecturers: Ms Arja Kiviaho-Tiippana ja Ms Anni Kemppainen
Credited in degree: Degree Programme in Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services, Podiatry
Enrolment by: 7.3.2021
Price: Free of charge
This course is included in the Diploma of Higher Education in Rehabilitation, 60 ECTS cr
Please notice that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on OUAS courses.
- The student can demonstrate an understanding of different definitions and the meaning of counseling, patient education, health promotion, adherence, compliance, self-management, and self-regulation.
- The student can demonstrate an understanding of the meaning of evidence based practice in patient education and counseling, including the cultural features.
- The student can analyze and evaluate health promotion, patient education and counseling in practice.
- The student can recognize and develop her/his own learning and counseling philosophy, style and competence.
- The student becomes familiar with evidence-based research articles related to diabetes education and counseling.
- The student adopts a reflective view to the development of diabetes education and counseling.
Contents and methods:
- Evidence based diabetes education and counseling, 2 ECTS credits
- Development of professional's own counseling skills, 2 ECTS credits
- Research methods in diabetes education and counseling, 1 ECTS credits
This course includes individual work at student's own pace, participation in discussion forums and several competence measuring tests.
Transcript of records will be delivered by request:
– in paper form for those who have their home address in Finland
– by email in PDF form for those who have their home address in some other country.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email: email@example.com.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll receive an invitation by email to this course approximately one week before the course starts.