Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is three months.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 40
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Lecturer: Anni Kemppainen, email@example.com
Credited in degree at Xamk: Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services, Podiatry
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 11 September 2022. This is a nonstop start and students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolment.
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here. Enrollments on nonstop start courses cannot be cancelled free of charge.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree and path students can enrol on this course only through Peppi or the Tuudo application.
After completing this course the student:
- can demonstrate an understanding of different definitions and the meaning of counseling, patient education, health promotion, adherence, compliance, self-management, and self-regulation.
- can demonstrate an understanding of the meaning of evidence based practice in patient education and counseling, including the cultural features.
- can analyze and evaluate health promotion, patient education and counseling in practice.
- can recognize and develop her/his own learning and counseling philosophy, style and competence.
- is familiar with evidence-based research articles related to diabetes education and counseling.
- adopts a reflective view to the development of diabetes education and counseling.
Contents and methods:
This course consists of the following parts:
- Evidence based diabetes education and counseling (2 ECTS credits)
- Development of professional's own counseling skills (2 ECTS credits)
- Research methods in diabetes education and counseling (1 ECTS credit)
This course includes individual assignments at student's own pace, participation in discussion forums and several competence measuring tests.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Transcript of records will be delivered by request by email in PDF form
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can start this nonstop start course within a week after enrolling. Enrollments on nonstop start courses cannot be cancelled free of charge. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).