Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is three months.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS cr
Number of study places: 150
Target group: This course is suitable for Health and Social Care students and professionals as well as everyone interested in Health and Health promotion.
Lecturer: Ms Tuulia Litmanen
Information for students studying in vocational studies in Finland:
Jatkoväylä-opiskelija: Suosittelemme tätä opintojaksoa jatkoväyläopintoihin lähihoitajasta sairaanhoitajaksi (AMK).
Credited in degree: Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services, Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Core competence
Enrolment by: 19 December 2021. This is a nonstop start and students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolment.
Price: Free of charge
Please notice that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on OUAS courses.
Health promotion and Global health
- You can apply the theories on health promotion and evidence-based methods in nursing individuals and communities.
- You can assess individuals’ and groups’ needs for health promotion.
- You can direct early support for those who need it.
- You understand the ethical principles of health promotion.
- You know how to plan and carry out interventions for promoting health and the ability to function for individuals and groups in multiprofessional cooperation, with a customer-oriented approach.
- You recognize current and new health threats also globally and you are able to include them in the health promotion of customers/patients.
- You know how to apply nutrition and treatment recommendations for different age and target groups in preventing and nursing national diseases.
- You know how to integrate nutritional care and guidance into comprehensive nursing in cooperation with a network of multisectoral experts.
- You can assess the nutritional status of a customer/patient and refer the customer/patient in the risk of malnutrition to an expert.
Contents and methods:
- How are health and illness defined and what are the principles of health promotion?
- What is the significance of health promotion for national health?
- How is health promoted in different municipal fields?
- What is the meaning of the norm, resource, and information guidance in health promotion?
- How do the ethical principles of health promotion direct planning in social and health care and how do you take ethics into consideration in health promotion?
- What is the connection between lifestyle and health?
- How can risk behavior in health issues be recognized and prevented?
- How can wellbeing analytics and artificial intelligence be utilized in health promotion?
- What kind of registered information and statistics can be utilized in health promotion?
- How do you promote the health of a community?
- How do you follow and assess health promotion? How do you apply evidence-based information in health promotion?
- What are the national nutrition recommendations directed at different age groups?
- How do you apply the contents of nutrition recommendations in everyday food choices and eating?
- How do you carry out nutrition treatment and preventive dietary advice according to the Current Care recommendations?
The course includes lectures, learning tasks, group work and independent work as well as tests.
Study material is available on Learn eLearning platform.
Transcript of records will be delivered by request
– in paper form for those who have their home address in Finland
– by email in PDF form for those who have their home address in some other country.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email email@example.com.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
You'll receive an invitation by email to this course approx. one week before the course starts.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).