Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is three months. First nonstop start 9th January 2024.
Please notice that Xamk’s lecturers do not assess completed courses nor enter the course assessments in Xamk’s record of credits (Peppi) during their non-teaching periods. In summer, completed courses will not be assessed between June 1st and August 18th, 2024.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: The course is suitable for physiotherapists and physiotherapy students (basic studies of respiratory and cardiovascular physical therapy should be completed). The course is also suitable for professionals with skills in working life with respiratory and cardiac patients.
Required previous skills: Basic studies of respiratory and cardiovascular physical therapy should be completed.
Course is completed independently.
Credited in degree at Xamk: Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services, physiotherapy
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Complementary competence
Enrolment by: 18th June 2024. This is a nonstop start and students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolment. First nonstop start 9th January 2024.
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that Xamk degree students can enrol on this course only via Peppi or Tuudo.
After completing this course:
- You can apply your knowhow in respiratory and cardiovascular physiotherapy at advanced level in demanding situations.
- You can take into consideration specific features of respiratory and cardiovascular diseases and benefit from multidisciplinary knowledge when implementing therapy and guidance.
- You can apply evidence-based methods in assessment of load level and applying respiratory and cardiovascular physiotherapy utilizing differential diagnosis and clinical reasoning.
- You are able to demonstrate your expertise of physiotherapy in multi-professional teams.
- You can utilize the knowhow of multi-professional teams in supporting a client’s functional ability and health-promoting life style.
Contents and methods:
- How do you choose, justify, and use assessment methods for performance and load levels to support the customer’s targets?
- How do you support the clients ability to assess their own progress at various stages of rehabilitation?
- How do you develop and implement the progressive and right-tier training program for respiratory and cardiovascular clients at various stages of rehabilitation by aligning it with the client's psychosocial resources?
- How do you guide and support your customers and their close ones to make use of the potential of the living environment and social participation?
- How do you co-operate multi-professionally in specific issues related to respiratory and cardiovascular diseases?
The course is completed in Learn eLearning platform as independent online studies including some peer online discussions. The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
The student becomes acquainted with the learning material in Learn and completes the competence test and the given learning tasks according to separate assignments on the following themes:
- Upgrade of respiratory and cardiovascular physiotherapy knowledge (1 credit)
- Respiratory and cardiac rehabilitation performance testing (1,5 credits)
- Developing a eespiratory and cardiac rehabilitation exercise program (1,5 credits)
- Applying respiratory and cardiac rehabilitation (1 credit)
The Transcript of records will be delivered automatically by email in PDF form. You can read more about the The Transcript of records on: Information on Open UAS, Xamk Pulse studies.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Xamk Pulse, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).