The results of the arrival survey from autumn 2020
The arrival survey collects information about the orientation related to the starting of studies, the atmosphere, student tutoring and the student satisfaction. The survey also collects information about our image, communication and marketing, and willingness to recommend our institution.
All degree students respond to the arrival enquiry during their first semester. This survey will be implement twice a year, autumn and spring. The results of the survey are review by the Education Management Team, Wellbeing Team, Education Departments and the participants of development forums at degree programmes together with students.
Questions were propositions and rating scale are as follows: 1 = very poorly, 2 = quite poorly, 3 = not poor or well, 4 = quite well, 5 = very well.
The results of a Bachelor’s study
A total of 1037 students answered the arrival survey and answering percent was 53.
Despite the corona situation, the results of the arrival survey were at the same level as in the previous year.
The total averages of the survey were good in every education.
There were no major differences between the educations. The lowest total averages were 3.8 and the highest 4.4.
- The best total average was 4.4 in Naprapathy (Kotka) (Finnish language programme)
Good total average 4.3 were in following Bachelor’s programmes:
- Information Technology (Mikkeli) (English language programme)
- Physiotheraphy (Savonlinna)
- Cybersecurity (Kotka) (Finnish language programme)
- Environmental engineer (Mikkeli) (Finnish language programme)
- Podiatry (Savonlinna)
- Physical Education(Savonlinna)
- Social Services, school wellbeing (Savonlinna)
- Information technology (Mikkeli) (Finnish language programme).
The results have been compared with the results for the previous year and the previous year’s results have been presented in brackets.
A total average was 4.1, which is the same as previous year.
Students are satisfied of usability of the eLearning environment and the average is risen.
- The usability of the eLearning environment (Learn) 4.2 (4.1).
The cooperation with the staff and students is going well.
- The cooperation with the staff 4.3 (4.4)
- The cooperation with the students 4.3 (4.4).
The students are being heard and encouraged and the study environment is comfortable.
- The students in my education are being heard and encouraged 4.1 (4.2).
- My education has a pleasant and functional learning environment 4.1 (4.1). In this question was much of differences between in different education. Especially the facilities on the Kotka campus come to the fore.
Student tutoring accounted for 74 per cent of the education (83 %).
- Student tutors have been of help at the beginning of the studies 7 (3.6). There was much of differences between in different education.
The students were satisfied and intended to study until graduation.
- At the moment, I am a satisfied student 4.0 (4.0).
97 percent (97 %) of students were intended to study in this education until graduation.
The most commonly mentioned reasons for satisfaction are:
- The studies have started and gone well
- Teachers and atmosphere are nice
- Has learned something new
- Studies and assignments are interesting.
Reasons for dissatisfaction:
- There are too many tasks, schedules come too late, tasks overlap
- The corona and challenges or shortcomings in interaction with other students as well as teachers, amount of independent work
- Uncertainty of information, study schedules and instructions, different information channels.
The study atmosphere is the most described as good, encouraging, comfortable or relaxed. The corona is somehow visible in the atmosphere. For example, it has been more difficult to build interaction and connection with the study group or teachers
The averages of questions related to the image, communication and marketing had fallen slightly.
A total average was 3.8 (3.9).
The best averages were:
- The available courses at Xamk are interesting 4.2 (4.2)
- I can get useful information from Www pages 4.2 (4.2)
- Xamk offers a high standard of teaching 4.0 (4.0)
- A degree from Xamk is well respected in the labour market 4.0 (4.0)
Slightly decreased averages were:
- Xamk offers international opportunities 4.0 (4.2)
- Xamk is well represented in social media or media 3.9 (4.0)
The lowest averages were:
- The campus town seems appealing 3.4 (3.4)
- Xamk stands above other Universities of Applied sciences 3.5 (3.5)
- Xamk is pioneering 3.5 (3.5)
Xamk has a good reputation as a place to study. Average was 3.8 (3.8).
Net promoter score (NPS) “How likely you would like to recommend Xamk to a friend or acquaintances?” was 27 (28)
The reasons why students recommend Xamk:
- Good teachers
- Quality education / teaching
- Good online studies or online study offerings
- A campus or location that pleases.
The reasons why not recommend Xamk:
- Xamk’s location is remote or quiet
- Pedagogical level of teachers, overload
- Treatment of students.
- The air quality and the lack of facilities in the campus are poor.
The results of a Master study
A total of 181 students answered the arrival survey and the answering percent was 46.
A total average of the survey was 4.0 (4.2) and had slightly decreased.
The best averages were in following Master programmes:
- Data-based Wellbeing Services, Mikkeli 4.4
- Project and Sales Management, Kotka 4.3
- Project and Sales Management, Mikkeli 4.3
The best average was:
- The cooperation with the staff 4.4 (4.5).
The slightly risen averages were:
- The instructions for the beginning of the studies and for studying in general have been 4.2 (4.1)
- I have become acquainted with the curriculum of my education and its aims 4.2 (4.1)
Good averages were:
- The students in my education are being heard and encouraged 4.2 (4.3)
Decreased averages were:
- Student tutors have been of help at the beginning of the studies 3.0 (3.7)
- My education has a pleasant and functional learning environment 3.6 (4.1)
- At the moment, I am a satisfied student 3.9 (4.1)
- The cooperation with the students has been 4.1 (4.4)
Only 77 percent of respondents have had a PSP (personal study plan discussion) discussion and a smaller proportion of respondents than last year have had the opportunity to make a PSP.
99.4 percent (99.6 %) of students intended to study in this education until graduation.
Students described the atmosphere with the words good, encouraging and inspiring. Corona appears in the answers. Distance learning is perceived as a making it difficult to group and get to know others and to cause confusion. This may also be reflected in the declining average of claims about the learning environment and student collaboration.
The most commonly mentioned reasons for satisfaction:
- The course and progress of studies
- Interesting studies
- Learning something new
- Distance learning is going well
The most commonly mentioned reasons for dissatisfaction
- Challenge to study and work for the same time
- The number, rush or nature of tasks (e.g. too many group tasks).
- Challenges to how manage time or schedule it.
The questions of the image, communication and marketing, and willingness to recommend
The results were at the same level as previous year
- A total average was 3.8 (3.8).
Good averages were:
- The available courses at Xamk are interesting 4.3 (4.2)
- Xamk offers high standard teaching 4.1 (4.2)
- I can get useful information from Www page 4.0 (3.9).
Slightly decreased average, which was also the lowest:
- Xamk stands above other Universities of Applied sciences 3.5 (3.6)
Other lowest averages:
- Xamk offers international opportunities 3.6 (3.7)
- The campus town seems to appeal 3.6 (3.5)
- Xamk is pioneering 3.6 (3.6).
Master students are more willing to recommend studies at Xamk to others. Net promoter score (NPS) “How likely you would like to recommend Xamk to a friend or acquaintances?” was 41 (41).
The reasons why students recommend Xamk:
- Teaching is high quality
- Online studies opportunities are good
- Location and campus or facilities are good (e.g. suitably small).
The location and level of instruction get most mentions when students justify why they do not recommend Xamk as a place to study.