Eligibility and admissions criteria
Bachelor’s degree programmes
You can apply to a Bachelor’s degree programme if you have completed
- the Finnish general upper secondary school syllabus and/or the matriculation examination
- an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
- a European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma
- a Reifeprüfung (RP) Diploma
- an applicable Finnish vocational qualification
- foreign qualification that provides eligibility for higher education studies in the country in question.
English language proficiency for all programmes
Because the instruction in the degree programmes is provided in English, a good command of English language is required.
The language skills of all applicants are evaluated in a language test included in the entrance examination. If you fail the language test, you are withdrawn from admission.
Regardless of your nationality or educational background, you are not required to submit proof of your English language skills when applying.
Master’s degree programmes
You can apply to a Master’s degree programme if you have completed
- an appropriate UAS Bachelor’s degree or another appropriate higher education degree and
- at least three years of subsequent work experience in a relevant field. As a relevant field is regarded both the field being applied to and the field of the previous higher education degree.
The work experience can be accumulated as from the date of award of the final degree certificate and obtained no later than 31 July 2018.
Work experience should be indicated in full months. When converting part-time work into its full-time equivalent, 150 hours or 20 working days lasting at least 7 hours per day correspond to one month of work. Work experience does not have to be continuous or obtained working for the same employer. The amount of work experience points awarded for simultaneous employment relationships may not exceed the amount awarded for full-time employment.
Entrepreneurship is accepted as work experience if you can produce a certificate attesting that you have been covered under the statutory YEL or MYEL pension scheme in Finland. Enterprising activities abroad should be substantiated with comparable official documents.
Military or non-military national service, women’s voluntary military service or child-care leave will not be counted towards work experience.
Qualification used for applying
The qualification used for applying must be completed in time for a copy of the certificate to reach the relevant UAS by 10 July 2018, 3 pm Finnish time.
If you are applying with a non-Finnish qualification certificate, the copy must however be submitted for the bachelor’s degree programmes already by 7 February 2018, 3 pm Finnish time. Exception: applicants graduating during the spring of applying can apply with a temporary certificate and submit the final certificate to the relevant UAS in July.
For master’s degree programmes the qualification used for applying must be completed by 28 March 2018.
Applicants graduating with a non-Finnish degree during the spring of applying can apply with a temporary certificate.
The Bachelor’s degree programmes in English at Xamk use discretionary admission. This means that also applicants who not meet the eligibility requirement, may be invited to the entry exam, if Xamk considers their skills and knowledge sufficient.
Discretion only concerns the eligibility to apply. Discretionary applicants are included in the student selection process in the same way as other applicants and follow the regular procedure for applying.
The instructions here only concern applicants applying to Xamk. If you are applying also to other UAS, you should check their criteria and instructions on the UAS website. Please also note that some UAS do not consider discretionary applicants at all.
Discretionary admission at Xamk
If your qualification does not meet the eligibility requirement and you wish to apply as a discretionary applicant, please follow these instructions:
- If you are unsure about your eligibility, contact Xamk Admission services (admissions(a)xamk.fi) for advice before or during the application period.
- Submit your application form on Studyinfo.fi during the application period.
- Submit the following documents through our electronic service:
– copies of the certificates you wish to invoke to
– a cover letter shortly explaining why your application should be considered in discretionary admission at Xamk.
If you are graduating with a non-Finnish degree during the spring of applying, you don’t have to apply through discretionary admission. As of 2018, you meet the general eligibility criteria for the UAS bachelor’s programmes.
How students are selected
All students for the Bachelor’s degree programmes are selected on the basis of entrance examination only.
Students for Master’s degree programme in International Business Management are selected on the basis of entrance examination and for the Master’s degree programme in Health Promotion on the basis of an advance assignment and entrance examination.
The programme-specific admission criteria are described on Studyinfo.fi (Select programme > Admission and entrance examinations)
The student admission is conditional until all information and final certificates used for applying have been checked.
Your study place can be withdrawn, if you have given false information about your qualifications. Confirm the study place offered to you by the given deadline to make sure you don’t lose the study place offered to you.
If you are selected
If you are selected to study, you will be notified of the admission by email. If you choose to accept the offered study place:
- Confirm study place in the Studyinfo.fi service by a given deadline. Instructions for accepting the study place in joint application: https://studyinfo.fi/wp2/en/higher-education/applying/confirming-a-study-place-in-higher-education/.
- If you are liable to pay the tuition fee, it must be paid for the first study year by the same deadline. Information on the tuition fees is available here: www.xamk.fi/tuition-fees
- Enrol as an attending or non-attending student by a given deadline in the Studyinfo.fi service after confirming the study place.
- Submit copies of your qualification certificates, if you applied with an unfinished qualification or if you did not submit the documents to Xamk during the application period (exception: you don’t have to submit a certificate of a completed Finnish matriculation as the information is obtained directly from the Matriculation Examination Board).
- Have the original certificates with you in the beginning of studies, they are checked against the copies you submitted electronically.
If you are not selected
If you did not receive a study place in the joint application, you will be notified of the admission result. The UAS will publish information on vacant study places and supplementary application rounds for them on Studyinfo.fi portal.
Equal admission scores
The grounds used in cases of equal admission scores may be different depending on the selection methods used in the degree programme.
In cases of equal admission scores at Xamk, the applicants are ranked on the grounds of points for entrance examination and applicant’s first-choice programme on the application form.
If these criteria fail to produce a difference between tied applicants, the applicants are automatically selected by lots drawn by a computer system.
According to the legislation in Finland, an applicant has a right to request for adjustment to the decision concerning student selection within 14 days of publishing the results of student admission.
If you believe that there has been a mistake in the student selection and the admission criteria have not been applied correctly, you must first contact admission services at the university of applied sciences where the student admission decision has been made. If the decision was made at Xamk, contact: firstname.lastname@example.org.
If this does not clarify the matter, you can make a written request for adjustment to the decision regarding student admission.
A request for adjustment must specify the name and contact information of the person making the request, the decision that the request for adjustment concerns, the points of the decision that adjustment is sought for and the grounds for the request for adjustment. If necessary, supporting documents can be attached to the request.
The request for adjustment concerning student selection at South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is addressed to the Examination committee and delivered to:
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences
Paraatikenttä 7, 45100 Kouvola
by email to email@example.com, topic of the message stating “Request for rectification for the Examination committee”.
Tel. +358 44 702 8752 (Kouvola) or
+358 50 312 5031 (Mikkeli)
Postal and visiting addresses
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences / Admission services
Paraatikenttä 7, 45100 Kouvola, Finland or
Patteristonkatu 3X, 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
Office hours: Mon-Fri 9 am – 3 pm.