Eligibility and admissions criteria
Bachelor’s degree programmes
You can apply to a Bachelor’s degree programme if you have completed
- the Finnish general upper secondary school syllabus and/or the matriculation examination
- an International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma
- a European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma
- a Reifeprüfung (RP) Diploma
- an applicable Finnish vocational qualification
- foreign qualification that provides eligibility for higher education studies in the country in question.
English language proficiency for all programmes
Because the instruction in the degree programmes is provided in English, a good command of English language is required.
The language skills of all applicants are evaluated either on the basis of the SAT result or in the entrance examination. If you fail the language test, you are withdrawn from admission.
Regardless of your nationality or educational background, you are not required to submit proof of your English language skills when applying.
Master’s degree programmes
You can apply to a Master’s degree programme if you have completed
- an appropriate UAS Bachelor’s degree or another appropriate higher education degree and
- at least two years of subsequent work experience in a relevant field. As a relevant field is regarded both the field being applied to and the field of the previous higher education degree.
The work experience can be accumulated as from the date of award of the final higher education degree certificate and obtained no later than 31 July (spring application) / 31 December (autumn application) in the year of applying.
Work experience should be indicated in full months. When converting part-time work into its full-time equivalent, 150 hours or 20 working days lasting at least 7 hours per day correspond to one month of work. Work experience does not have to be continuous or obtained working for the same employer. The amount of work experience points awarded for simultaneous employment relationships may not exceed the amount awarded for full-time employment.
Entrepreneurship is accepted as work experience if you can produce a certificate attesting that you have been covered under the statutory YEL or MYEL pension scheme in Finland. Enterprising activities abroad should be substantiated with comparable official documents.
Military or non-military national service, women’s voluntary military service or child-care leave will not be counted towards work experience.
Qualification used for applying
The qualification used for applying must be completed in time for a copy of the certificate to reach the relevant UAS:
- Joint application 1, spring 2020
- All qualifications by 15 July 2020 by 3 pm Finnish time
- Joint application, autumn 2020
- All qualifications by 4 December 2020 by 3 pm Finnish time
If you are applying with one of the following qualifications, you are required to upload a copy of your qualification certificate, or of a temporary graduation certificate to your application form already during the application process:
- IB, EB, RP/DIA qualification
- qualification completed outside Finland
At Xamk, discretionary admission is used only in the field of culture, for Degree Programme in Game Design. Other degree programmes at Xamk do not use discretionary admission.
Discretionary admission means that the Game Design programme may invite applicants who do not meet the eligibility requirement, to the entry exam, if their skills and knowledge are considered sufficient.
Discretion only concerns the eligibility to apply. Discretionary applicants are included in the student selection process in the same way as other applicants and follow the regular procedure for applying.
The instructions here only concern applicants applying to the Game Design programme at Xamk. If you are applying also to other UAS, you should check their criteria and instructions on the UAS website. Please also note that many UAS do not consider discretionary applicants at all.
Discretionary admission at Xamk
If your qualification does not meet the eligibility requirement and you wish to apply to the Game Design programme as a discretionary applicant, please follow these instructions:
- If you are unsure about your eligibility, contact Xamk Admission Services (admissions(a)xamk.fi) for advice before or during the application period.
- Submit your application form on Studyinfo.fi during the application period.
- Attach the following documents to your application on Studyinfo.fi:
– copies of the certificates you wish to invoke to
– a cover letter shortly explaining why your application should be considered in discretionary admission.
How students are selected
The Admission criteria is decided on a yearly basis for each degree programme separately. The criteria may include a SAT test result or an entrance examination and/or pre-tasks. The criteria are described on Studyinfo.fi (Select programme > Application process):
- Admission criteria for spring 2020 application round
- Admission criteria for autumn 2020 application round
The student admission is conditional until all information and original (final) certificates used for applying have been checked.
Your study place can be withdrawn, if you have given false information about your qualifications. Confirm the study place offered to you by the given deadline to make sure you don’t lose the study place offered to you.
Higher education institutions publish admission results gradually according to their own schedules. All results in joint application are published:
- Joint Application 1, spring 2020: by 5 June 2020
- Joint Application, autumn 2020: by 27 November 2020
You will receive a notice by email both from the Studyinfo.fi service and Xamk Admission Services, when you have been admitted to study at Xamk.
You can see your admission results in real-time through My Studyinfo -service, if you have access to it (Finnish personal ID number and online banking credentials, mobile certificate or an electronic ID-card needed).
If you don’t have access to My Studyinfo -service, you will receive a notice of result by email when all results have been published.
Further information about the admission results in joint application is available on Studyinfo.fi.
If you are not selected
If you did not receive a study place in the joint application, you will be notified of the admission result by email. The UAS will publish information on vacant study places and supplementary application rounds for them on Studyinfo.fi service.
Open Path studies are a possibility to join the studies, if you were not admitted in the joint application. See further information here!
Equal admission scores
The grounds used in cases of equal admission scores may be different depending on the selection methods used in the degree programme.
In cases of equal admission scores at Xamk, the applicants are ranked on the grounds of points for entrance examination or SAT test result and applicant’s first-choice programme on the application form. The order of priority of the study programmes on application form only concerns the autumn application round.
If these criteria fail to produce a difference between tied applicants, the applicants are automatically selected by lots drawn by a computer system.
Tel. +358 44 702 8752 (Kouvola) or
+358 50 312 5031 (Mikkeli)
Postal and visiting addresses
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences / Admission Services
Paraatikenttä 7, 45100 Kouvola, Finland or
Patteristonkatu 3X, 50100 Mikkeli, Finland
Office hours: Mon-Fri 9 am – 3 pm.