Summer School on Kouvola Campus
Summer school 2020 in Kouvola
Summer school is arranged on Kouvola Campus between June 1-19 and August 3-28, 2020.
The programme includes four courses which are suitable to students from various study fields.
Courses are free of charge to students from Xamk’s partner institutions. Otherwise the fee is
12 € / ECTS credit.
Courses in Kouvola are related to Design and are as follows:
- Character design and digital art in immersive installations to engage new audiences, June 1 – 12, 2020
- Culture customer experience, June 8 – 19, 2020
- Design thinking & business understanding, August 3 – 14, 2020
The first two courses have been planned in collaboration with the networks of the Contents for Cross-Cultural Events – C3E -project, funded by the South-East Finland-Russia CBC 2014-2020 Programme.
The syllabus of each course is available by the end of January.
Kouvola – Big on experience!
Great national park Repovesi and
Verla – a unique UNESCO World
Heritage are easy to reach
Application period for Summer School is March 1 – 31, 2020
The application is easy to fill in. In addition to basic information, the following documents need to be attached to the application in PDF-format.
- study certificate from your home university in English
- letter of motivation in English
- copy of the passport / ID card in English
Please note that the courses are organised on two different campuses, so please make sure to take that into account when selecting the courses.
Exchange students, who study in Kouvola, are normally accommodated in Kouvola city’s student residence in Kuusihaankatu, located about 4,5km away from the campus and 2 km from the city center.
Each apartment consists of either 2 or 3 rooms with shared kitchen and toilet facilities. There is a total of 100 rooms in 2 houses at Kuusihaankatu. The rooms are furnished (if arranged through Xamk) and ready for moving in. Each apartment has a high-speed cable Internet connection.
Prices vary from approximately 250 to 280 euro/ month Please note that we cannot guarantee you being accommodated in a preferred (two- or three-room) flat.
There is a bus connections to and from the campus.
Kouvola is situated some 140 km from Helsinki, 300 km from St. Petersburg and 60 km from Kotka. Depending on where you are coming from, there are different means of transport you might find convenient:
- If you are traveling via Helsinki Airport, you most likely will prefer to use a train connection.
- If you are coming from Helsinki city center or other cities in Finland, please, check Matkahuolto or Onnibus web-pages for the options.
- If you are arriving from St. Petersburg, you can consider taking the Allegro train to the Kouvola train station.