Place: Online studies on Learn eLearning platform
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: All that are interested in this subject
Lecturers: Ms Arja Kiviaho-Tiippana and Ms Anni Kemppainen
Credited in degree: Degree Programme in Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services, Podiatry
Enrolment by: 13.9.2020
Price: Free of charge
This course is included in the Diploma of Higher Education in Rehabilitation, 60 ECTS cr
Please notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on OUAS courses.
- The student can demonstrate an understanding of different definitions and the meaning of counseling, patient education, health promotion, adherence, compliance, self-management, and self-regulation
- The student can demonstrate an understanding of the meaning of evidence based practice in patient education and counseling, also the cultural features
- The student can analyze and evaluate health promotion, patient education and counseling in practice
- The student can recognize and develop her/his own learning and counseling philosophy, style and competence
- The student become familiar with evidence-based research articles of diabetes education and counseling
- The student adopts a reflective review to the development of diabetes education and counseling
Contents and methods:
1. Evidence based diabetes education and counseling 2 cr
2. Development of professional's own counseling skills 2 cr
3. Research methods in diabetes education and counseling 1 cr
Individual work at own pace and discussions. Several tests measuring competence.
Given at the beginning of the course
Assessment and assessment criteria:
Five multiple-choice tests and three discussion forums
Transcript of records will be delivered by request
– in paper form for those who have their home address in Finland
– by email in PDF form for those who have their home address in some other country.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
Cancellation has to be made 14 days before the course starts. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
You'll receive an invitation by email to this course approx. one week before the course starts.