Time: 9 February – 31 May 2022
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 35
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: –
Lecturer: Merja Mäkelä
Credited in degree at Xamk: All Bachelor level degrees
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 30 January 2022
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
After this course students are able to:
- carry out profitability calculations related to energy production, energy use, energy tariffs and the appraisal of investment
- explain the Finnish energy policy (content, goals and implementation)
- know the past and future trends (scenarios) of energy consumption
- calculate the price of the energy produced
Contents and methods:
- Which are the key points of Finnish energy policy?
- How to analyse energy consumption (past and future scenarios)?
- How is energy policy implemented? What are energy resources and their adequacy?
- How to utilize profitability calculations (investments, energy saving)?
- What are the energy production costs of power plants and tariffs?
- How to learn load duration curves? How to optimize energy production?
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
- 36 h online lectures
- 9.2.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 16.2.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 23.2.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 9.3.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 16.3.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 30.3.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 6.4.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 13.4.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 2.5.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 4.5.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 9.5.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 11.5.2022, 15.30-18.30
- 40 h processing of video presentations
- 59 h self-study
1. Learn materials https://learn.xamk.fi
2. Klimstra, J., Hotakainen, M., Smart power generation, Avain Publishers, Helsinki Finland, 2011, 194 p.
3. https://www.ilmastonyt.fi/opiskelemaan.html, University of Helsinki
4. https://www.motiva.fi/en/solutions, Motiva
Activities in lecture and exercise sessions will help you to learn the basics of energy markets. The course grade consists of a personal Learn exam and a video presentation of 1-2 persons.
Assesment scale: 0 – 5
Transcript of records will be delivered by request by email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can cancel your enrolment free of charge 30 days before the course starts. If you have not cancelled by the due date, we will charge the full cost of the course. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).