Time: 22 January – 30 April 2024
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 30
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: Attending the course requires completing the course Finnish 1 or Finnnish for Beninners or having corresponding skills in Finnish (CERF level A1.1 completed). Attending the course also requires English skills enabling academic studies and some IT skills.
Lecturer: Xamk lecturer
Credited in degree at Xamk: All Bachelor level degrees
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 7 January 2024
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here.
Please note that enrolment for Xamk Pulse studies is binding, and it is not possible to cancel a student place free of charge. After receiving a student place, you will be charged a fee according to our price list. The fee will not be refunded even if you discontinue your studies. However, if you will not be starting your studies, please let us know in good time so that we can remove you from the course. This way, there will not be a record of an incomplete course in your information in Peppi. Cancellation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice that Xamk degree students can enrol on this course only via Peppi or Tuudo.
- You are able to express yourself in Finnish in everyday situations both orally and in writing.
- You are able to follow simple speech and read short texts on familiar topics.
- You have command of different phrases, structures and vocabulary (CEFR level A1.2 – A1.3). You will get to know some basic vocabulary of your own professional field.
- You are familiar with a large variety of grammatical features, like consonant and vowel changes (verbs and nouns), singular case forms and basic plural form (nouns).
- You are also able to expand your vocabulary and knowledge of language usage independently using different sources.
- You become more familiar with the Finnish culture.
Contents and methods:
- Which phrases and what kind of vocabulary and grammatical knowledge do you need for everyday communication and for understanding and writing simple texts on various topics?
- Which sources and tools can you use in order to continue your elementary Finnish studies during the course and independently?
- How to use your cultural knowledge in communication?
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Real-time classes online are organised once a week, on Tuesdays according to the following schedule:
- 23.01.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 30.01.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 06.02.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 13.02.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 20.02.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 05.03.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 12.03.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 19.03.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 26.03.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 02.04.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 09.04.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- 16.04.2024 14.30 – 16.00
- Gehring, S. & Heinzmann, S. 2021. Newest edition Suomen mestari 1. Suomea aikuisille. Helsinki: FinnLectura.
Assessment methods and criteria:
The course Finnish 2 is arranged at the entry-level of your studies. The assessment emphazises criteria a–d and f. Students that have reached the level 3 are able to
a) use phrases, quite versatile vocabulary and grammatical knowledge (CEFR levels A1.2?A1.3) in everyday communication.
b) look for information from the text books and other information sources of the elementary Finnish.
c) identify various contexts and interrelated tasks.
d) communicate in everyday situations.
f) work as team-members in a goal-oriented way.
1 – 5
The Transcript of records will be delivered automatically by email in PDF form. You can read more about the the Transcript of records on: Information on Open UAS, Xamk Pulse studies.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Xamk Pulse, email@example.com.
Terms of cancellation:
The enrolment is binding. You will be charged. Study place cannot be canceled free of charge. You can still cancel your enrolment, but the course fee will not be refunded. Cancellation must be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before the course starts, you'll receive a course invitation by email.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).