Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 30
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: Attending the course requires completing the course Finnish 1 or Finnnish for Beninners or having corresponding skills in Finnish (CERF level A1.1 completed). Attending the course also requires English skills enabling academic studies and some IT skills.
Lecturer: Xamk lecturer
Credited in degree at Xamk: All Bachelor level degrees
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 8.1.2023
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that Xamk degree students can enrol on this course only via Peppi or Tuudo.
- You are able to express yourself in Finnish in everyday situations both orally and in writing.
- You are able to follow simple speech and read short texts on familiar topics.
- You have command of different phrases, structures and vocabulary (CEFR level A1.2 – A1.3). You will get to know some basic vocabulary of your own professional field.
- You are familiar with a large variety of grammatical features, like consonant and vowel changes (verbs and nouns), singular case forms and basic plural form (nouns).
- You are also able to expand your vocabulary and knowledge of language usage independently using different sources.
- You become more familiar with the Finnish culture.
Contents and methods:
- Which phrases and what kind of vocabulary and grammatical knowledge do you need for everyday communication and for understanding and writing simple texts on various topics?
- Which sources and tools can you use in order to continue your elementary Finnish studies during the course and independently?
- How to use your cultural knowledge in communication?
Real-time classes on Teams or Zoom are organised on Thursdays 8.15-9.45 am. The real-time online sessions will be recorded. It is required to attend the online lessons actively and complete the assignments and exams successfully. The course base on continuous assessment with weekly assignments. It is possible to have final exam if requested. All the assignments must be submitted following the given schedule, by the end of the course. Late submissions are not allowed. The course also includes independent and group work.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
- Studybook Gehring, S. & Heinzmann, S. 2021. Suomen mestari 1. Suomea aikuisille. Helsinki: FinnLectura, chapters 5 – 9
- Note! the newest edition is prefered.
Assessment methods and criteria:
The course Finnish 2 is arranged at the entry-level of your studies. The assessment emphazises criteria a–d and f. Students that have reached the level 3 are able to:
a) use phrases, quite versatile vocabulary and grammatical knowledge (CEFR levels A1.2-A1.3) in everyday communication.
b) look for information from the text books and other information sources of the elementary Finnish.
c) identify various contexts and interrelated tasks.
d) communicate in everyday situations.
f) work as team-members in a goal-oriented way.
Transcript of records will be delivered upon request by email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can cancel your enrolment free of charge 30 days before the course starts. If you have not cancelled by the due date, we will charge the full cost of the course. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive a course invitation by email.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).