Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is 3 months.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 40
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: –
Lecturer: Elina Jouppila
Credited in degree at Xamk: Degree Programme in Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Core competence
Enrolment by: 26.2.2023
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here. Enrollments on nonstop start courses cannot be cancelled free of charge.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
- You can describe the changes resulting from aging and their effects on the wellbeing of elderly people in their lives.
- You understand the meaning of ethical thinking in gerontological nursing.
- You know the most common geriatric diseases and the research and treatment methods.
- You can implement health promotion and rehabilitation in gerontological nursing.
- You can recognize the elderly and their families' resources and utilize your knowledge of gerontology in carrying out holistic health assessments.
- You can apply multicultural nursing to the care of elderly.
- You know the laws, acts and the social and health services in your own country and in other countries.
Contents and methods:
- What are the changes due to aging and how do these changes affect the elderly persons’ lives?
- What are the most common geriatric diseases and their research and therapeutic treatments?
- How to carry out health-enhancing and rehabilitative nursing?
- How to identify the elderly and their families' resources and health-promoting factors?
- How are cultural factors taken into account in holistic geriatric nursing?
- Which are the laws, acts and ethical guidelines related to gerontological nursing?
This is an online course and you can complete this course entirely individually. The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Study material: The learning material is specified in the Learn platform.
Assessment scale: Accepted/Failed
Transcript of records will be delivered upon request by email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can start this nonstop start course within a week after enrolling. Enrollments on nonstop start courses cannot be cancelled free of charge. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).