Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is 3 months. The first start is 5th September 2023.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: The student has basic knowledge of the health care of mothers and children.
Lecturer: Course is completed independently
Credited in degree at Xamk: Degree Programme in Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Core competence
Enrolment by: 17.12.2023.
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
- You can describe the changes resulting from aging and their effects on the wellbeing of elderly people in their lives.
- You understand the meaning of ethical thinking in gerontological nursing.
- You know the most common geriatric diseases and the research and treatment methods.
- You can implement health promotion and rehabilitation in gerontological nursing.
- You can recognize the elderly and their families’ resources and utilize your knowledge of gerontology in carrying out holistic health assessments.
- You can apply multicultural nursing to the care of elderly.
- You know the laws, acts and the social and health services in your own country and in other countries.
Contents and methods:
- What are the changes due to aging and how do these changes affect the elderly persons’ lives?
- What are the most common geriatric diseases and their research and therapeutic treatments?
- How to carry out health-enhancing and rehabilitative nursing?
- How to identify the elderly and their families’ resources and health-promoting factors?
- How are cultural factors taken into account in holistic geriatric nursing?
- Which are the laws, acts and ethical guidelines related to gerontological nursing?
The course will be carried out 100 % online. The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Study material: The learning material is in the Learn platform.
Transcript of records will be delivered by request by email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk’s degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you’ll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).