Time:18.9.-3.12.2023 Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is two months. Course starts 18.9.2023.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: –
Lecturer: Tuomo Paakkonen
Credited in degree at Xamk: Bachelor of Health Care and Social Services
Enrolment by: 22.10.2023
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
- You know how to identify the individual and social factors that hamper the integrity of the customer's life situation in cases of mental health, substance abuse and crime.
- You can support the customer in finding rehabilitation opportunities and perspectives in life situations related to substance abuse, mental health disorders and criminal behavior.
- In cooperation with the client, you are in a position to strengthen his or her motivation of change in the life situations related to substance abuse, mental disorders or crime.
- You know how to prepare a rehabilitation plan for the client in cases of substance abuse, mental health disorders and criminal activity and support him/her in the social rehabilitation process using various methods.
- You know how to utilise the rehabilitative work approach in the work processes of social rehabilitation.
- You know how to promote social rehabilitation at a unique and structural level.
Contents and methods:
The course consists of four main topics.
- The challenges of the integrity of customer’s life situation.
- The rehabilitation opportunities in cases of substance abuse, mental health disorders and criminal behavior.
- The preparation of a social rehabilitation plan and utilizing it in social rehabilitation work with adults
- The promotion of social rehabilitation at individual and structural level.
The course is completed by doing learning assignments. The schedule for completing the tasks is described on the Learn platform. The timetable for each student is individual within the schedule frames of the course.
The study material is presented in more detail on the Learn page of the course.
Golightley, Malcom & Goemans Robert. 2017. Social Work & Mental Health. https://kaakkuri.finna.fi/Record/kaakkuri.223679
Hagan Frank E, Daigle Leah E (2020): Introduction to Criminology. SAGE Publications Inc. London.
Mieli – Mental Health Finland https://mieli.fi/en
The website of the A-Clinic Foundation deals with substance abuse and addiction: https://paihdelinkki.fi/en
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Transcript of records will be delivered by requestby email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).