Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 20
Target group: Nurse student and nurses
Required previous skills: Basic of nursing is good to know
Lecturer: Päivi Lifflander, email@example.com
Credited in degree at Xamk: Bachelor of Health Care, Degree Programme in Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 31.7.2022
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
After completing this course:
- You know the basics of brain anatomy and physiology after brain stroke.
- You know the basics of monitoring consciousness of the stroke patient.
- You can systematically direct and advice executive function and movement of stroke patient.
- You have strengthened your theoretical competence in how a nurse supports patient’s and relatives’ grief and depression.
Contents and methods:
- How stroke changes brains?
- How nurse observes consciousness of the stroke patient?
- How nurse directs and advises executive functions and movement of the stroke patient?
- What is the grief and depression of the stroke patient and relative? How could nurse support patient and relative in the process?
The student has the opportunity to study regardless of time and place. This is an 100% online course, which contains tasks, imaginary patient cases, videos, virtual lessons, learning materials and exams. Virtual lessons are saved in the digital platform and the student can watch them later independently.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
The course is divided into the following sections:
- Brain and how stroke changes brains (0,5 ECTS cr)
- Monitoring consciousness (0,5 ECTS cr)
- Advising executive functions of stroke patient (2 ECTS cr)
- Advising movement of stroke patient (1 ECTS cr)
- Supporting grief and depression of stroke patient and relative (1 ECTS cr)
The study material is accessible to all students, no matter where they live. Xamk students are able to use Kaakkuri database with their Xamk’s IDs.
Assessment and assessment criteria:
- 4-5 learning tasks. Learning tasks are assessed as acceptable / to be completed / rejected.
- 2 exams. Exams are assessed numerically (0-5).
Transcript of records will be delivered by request by email in PDF form
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can cancel your enrolment free of charge 30 days before the course starts. If you have not cancelled by the due date, we will charge the full cost of the course. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).