Project “BiBe – New applications of biochar as building material” developed new material alternatives for concrete industry and investigated use of biochar as a raw material in concrete and building material production. Use of biochar as one of the raw materials could provide an opportunity to reduce the carbon footprint of concrete production. Biochar is a stable material and it has significant carbon sequestration capability. Use of biochar as a raw material in concrete production could make the concrete structures lighter and also to improve their thermo and noise insulation capacities. According to studies biochar has also indoor air quality improving properties, as a result of its ability to absorb harmful substances and to maintain moisture balance of indoor air.
THE EFFECTS OF BIOCHAR WERE TESTED AND MONITORED
Project ”BiBe” investigated technical properties of biochar used as an additive in concrete and other materials. The properties are dependable from the raw material used for biochar and also from temperature and time of the manufacturing process. The possible applications for biochar could be new kind of wall and ceiling materials, concrete structures for storm water treatment, garden slabs and noise abatement structures. Project studied these applications in laboratory and pilot scale. During the studies, the environmental impacts and chemical and physical performance were tested.
The work packages of the project were:
1) Study of possibilities and properties of different kind of biochar as a raw material for building industry
2) Investigation of building regulations and legislation for biochar and investigation of requirements
3) Testing of the new material and product possibilities in laboratory and pilot scale tests
4) Activating the operators network, study of possibilities for demonstration and promoting the commercialization
5) Evaluation of the environmental impacts of new product concepts (low-carbon and LCA) and comparison with the
applications already in use
6) Dissemination and reporting
NEW INFORMATION ON BIOCHAR AND ITS USABILITY
Project ”BiBe” provided new openings and possibilities for development of products of South Savo regional biochar and concrete manufacturers and building industry. Because of laboratory and pilot-scale studies was gained new knowledge about the use of biochar in concrete production and also about environmental safety and functionality of these new products. Project promoted realization of circular economy, reduced carbon dioxide emissions and at the same time diminished the carbon footprint of concrete production. Results of the project benefited especially concrete industry, biochar manufacturers and potential end users such as building industry, green builders and consumers.