Organisation and administration
The operations of South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences (Xamk) are organised into three entities: education, research, development and innovation (RDI), and support services.
Xamk’s education is provided in three schools of education under the leadership of a Director of School. The schools are further divided into departments led by the respective Directors of Education.
Research, development and innovation activities are carried out in four focus areas, led by research directors. Some RDI activities have been organised in 11 different research units.
Administrative and support services are provided in units led by respective managers, see the organisational chart below for details.
Schools of education
- Health and Wellbeing
- Business and Culture
RDI focus areas
- Digital Economy
- Sustainable Wellbeing
- Logistics and Seafaring
- Forest, the Environment and Energy
Adiministrative and support services
- Education Administration
- Education Services
- Financial, HR and Administrative Services
- RDI Services
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences (Xamk) is administered by South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences Ltd owned by the cities of Kotka, Kouvola, Mikkeli and Savonlinna. In line with the Limited Liability Companies Act, the highest decision-making power at Xamk is exercised by the General Meeting which appoints the company’s Board of Directors.
Xamk Board of Directors
The term of office of the current Board of Directors began on 15 October 2021 and lasts for four years, i.e. during the next municipal election period. The term of office of the members designated by the staff and students shall be two years, i.e. from 1.1.2023 to 31.12.2024.
The Board of Directors meets monthly except for the summer break and the minutes of the meetings are published in Finnish after signature. Non-public or secret information is not published, for example business secrets and personal data. As a rule, the meetings are held on the last Tuesday of the month.
- Kimmo Mikander, Chair, Mikkeli
- Pekka Posti, Vice-Chair, Kotka
- Pia Paukku, Kotka
- Marjo Lakka, Kouvola
- Pirkko Rahikainen, Mikkeli
- Kirsi Torikka, Savonlinna
- Pekka Pulkkinen, Member designated by personnel
- Rico Martikainen, Member designated by students
The Senior Management Team is in charge of developing, planning and coordinating the activities.
- Heikki Saastamoinen, CEO and President (Chair)
- Mirja Toikka, Senior Executive Vice President
- Olli Ervaala, Director of Education Services
- Kalevi Niemi, RDI Director, Vice President
- Tero Tallinen, Director of Administration and Finance, Vice President
- Petteri Ikonen, Director (School of Business and Culture)
- Mika Ruponen, Director (School of Technology)
- Katri Ryttyläinen-Korhonen, Director (School of Health and Wellbeing)
Xamk also has a RDI Management Team and a Pedagogical Management Team.
The RDI Management Team is responsible for reviewing international project plans and the associated preparation permits, making approval decisions of projects to be sent to financiers and performing other preparatory, development and monitoring tasks related to RDI activities. The RDI Management Team is chaired by RDI Director.
The Pedagogical Management Team, chaired by Senior Executive Vice President, is in charge of developing, planning and supervising the common processes related to teaching activities.
CEO and President Heikki Saastamoinen