Results of the arrival survey from academic year 2020-2021
The purpose of the arrival survey is to collect information about the orientation related to the starting of studies, the atmosphere, student tutoring and student satisfaction. The survey also collects information about how the students see our image, communication and marketing, and whether they would be willing to recommend our institution to others.
All degree students respond to the arrival survey during their first semester. This survey is implemented twice a year, in autumn and spring.
The results are reviewed by the Pedagogical Management Team, Student Wellbeing Team, education departments and degree programme development forums together with the students.
The questions were propositions and the rating scale is as follows: 1 = very poorly, 2 = quite poorly, 3 = not poor or well, 4 = quite well, 5 = very well.
Results of bachelor’s degree studies
A total of 1,509 students answered the arrival survey, and the answer percentage was 53.
Despite the coronavirus situation, the results of the arrival survey were at the same level as in the previous academic year.
The total mean of the survey was good in all degree programmes. There were no major differences between the degree programmes.
The lowest total mean was 3.8 and the highest 4.4.
The best total mean was 4.4 in the following three degree programmes:
- Naprapathy (Kotka)
- Health Care (Mikkeli)
- Physiotherapy (Savonlinna).
The following Bachelor’s degree programmes also had a good mean (4.3):
- Information Technology (Mikkeli; English-language programme)
- Cybersecurity (Kotka; Finnish-language program)
- Environmental Engineering (Mikkeli; Finnish-language program)
- Podiatry (Savonlinna)
- Physical Education (Savonlinna)
- Social Services, school wellbeing (Savonlinna)
- Information Technology (Mikkeli, Finnish-language programme)
- Civic Activities and Youth Work (Mikkeli)
The results have been compared with the results of the previous academic year and the previous academic year’s results have been presented in brackets.
A total mean was 4.1, which is the same as previous academic year. It includes questions about the starting phase of the studies.
The students are satisfied with the usability of the eLearning environment and the mean has risen.
- The usability of the eLearning environment (Learn) 4.3 (4.1).
Cooperation between the staff and students is going well
- Cooperation with the staff 4.3 (4.4)
- Cooperation with the students 4.3 (4.4)
The students are being heard and encouraged and the study environment is pleasant
- The students in my degree programme are being heard and encouraged 4.2 (4.2).
75 per cent (83%) of the degree programmes included student tutoring.
Student tutors have been of help at the beginning of the studies 3.8 (3.6).
The students were satisfied and intended to study until graduation.
- At the moment I am a satisfied student 4.0 (4.0).
97 percent (97%) of the students intended to study in this degree programme until graduation.
The most commonly mentioned reasons for satisfaction were:
- studies and studying
- the studies are interesting
- the progress of studies
A pleasant and cozy atmosphere was also mentioned quite often as the reason for satisfaction. The teachers, atmosphere, studies or study group were considered to contribute to this.
Reasons for dissatisfaction in bachelor’s degree programmes:
- Things related to tasks such as excessive number, overlapping or otherwise too challenging schedules, task requirements are either too low or too high
- Coronavirus or distance learning issues
- Something related to teachers is mentioned
- Issues of dissatisfaction related to individual courses
- Issues related to study schedules and time use.
The study atmosphere is most commonly described by the students as good, encouraging, comfortable or relaxed.
Questions related to the image, communication and marketing are at the same level as in the previous academic year
- A total mean was 3.9 (3.9).
The following statements had the best mean:
- The available courses at Xamk are interesting 4.3 (4.2)
- I can get useful information from Www pages 4.2 (4.2)
- Xamk offers a high standard of teaching 4.1 (4.0)
- A degree from Xamk is well respected in the labour market 4.0 (4.0)
There was a slight decrease in:
- Xamk offers international opportunities 4.0 (4.2)
- Xamk is well represented in social media 3.9 (4.0).
The following had the lowest mean:
- The campus town seems appealing 3.3 (3.4)
- Xamk stands above other Universities of Applied sciences 3.5 (3.5)
- Xamk is pioneering 3.5 (3.5).
Xamk has a good reputation as a place to study. The mean was 3.9 (3.8).
The Net Promoter Score (NPS) “How likely would you be to recommend Xamk to a friend or acquaintance?” had risen, standing at 33 (28).
The reasons why students would recommend Xamk:
- Teaching, which was good, high quality or varied
- Professional, high-quality, nice, good teachers
- Pleasant campus, location, good facilities or study environment
- Good opportunities, including study, career, hobby, online learning
- Good atmosphere.
The reasons why students would not recommend Xamk:
- Xamk’s location, town or campus
- Teaching or teachers, such as variation in teaching level, teacher communication and interaction
- In general, the level of quality of Xamk’s teaching is mentioned only in 13 comments
Results of master’s degree studies
A total of 225 students answered the arrival survey and the answer percentage was 42%.
The total average of the survey was 4.0 (4.2) and had slightly decreased.
The following master’s programmes had the best mean:
- Data-based Wellbeing Services 4.4 (Mikkeli)
- Project and Sales Management 4.3 (Kotka)
- Project and Sales Management 4.3 (Mikkeli)
The best mean was:
- Cooperation with the staff 4.4 (4.5).
Other good means were:
- I have become acquainted with the curriculum of my degree programme and its aims 4.2 (4.1).
- The students in my degree programme are being heard and encouraged 4.2 (4.3).
- The following had decreased:
- Student tutors have been of help at the beginning of the studies 3.2 (3.7)
- My degree programme has a pleasant and functional learning environment 3.6 (4.1)
- At the moment, I am a satisfied student 3.9 (4.1)
- Cooperation with the students has been 4.2 (4.4).
99.4 percent (99.6%) of the students intended to study in this degree programme until graduation.
The image, communication and marketing, and willingness to recommend
The results were at the same level as previous year
- A total mean was 3.8 (3.8).
The following statements had a good mean:
- The available courses at Xamk are interesting 4.2 (4.2)
- Xamk offers high standard teaching 4.1 (4.2)
- I can get useful information from Www page 3.9 (3.9).
The lowest were:
- The campus town seems appealing 3.5 (3.5)
- Xamk stands above other Universities of Applied sciences 3.6 (3.6)
- Xamk offers international opportunities 3.6 (3.7)
- Xamk is pioneering 3.6 (3.6).
Similar to the previous academic year, master students are more willing to recommend studies at Xamk to others. The Net Promoter Score (NPS) “How likely would you be to recommend Xamk to a friend or acquaintance?” was 42 (41).
The reasons why students would recommend Xamk:
- Teaching is high quality
- Online study opportunities are good
- Location and campus or facilities are good (e.g. suitably small).
The location and level of instruction are most commonly mentioned as the reasons for not being willing to recommend Xamk as a place to study.
The students describe the atmosphere as
- promoting dialogue
Because of the coronavirus situation and distance learning, many students find the atmosphere difficult to describe or assess. Many feel that there is no grouping and they don’t know each other, teachers or other students.
The most commonly mentioned reasons for satisfaction are:
- Studies are progressing, schedules are suitable, everything is going as planned, studies are interesting
- The teachers and teaching are professional. The teachers are good, they keep in touch with the students and are encouraging
- The online studies are good, distance learning is suitable
- Learning something new.
The most commonly mentioned reasons for dissatisfaction are:
- The challenge of studying alongside work
- Too many tasks, they are congested or something else related to the tasks
- Schedule is tight, too busy
- Distance learning and corona time
Why master students would recommend Xamk
- High quality, knowledgeable or otherwise good teaching
- Quality, high standard
- Good campus, location or facilities
- Professional, encouraging, good teachers