The Future of Biorefining
The IMPRESS e-platform
The IMPRESS e-platform called the Future of Biorefining is an online learning environment that combines the main technologies applied in the IMPRESS project, their main advantages and project results.
The content is divided in three separate modules:
- The first module deals with the separation processes required in biorefineries and the theory behind them; basics of mass transfer, distillation, crystallization, adsorption and simulated moving bed technology (SMB), and membrane filtration.
- The second module deals with process design and analysis. The module is divided into two parts; conceptual process design (CPD) and life cycle assessment (LCA).
- The third module deals with the processing of biomass into sugars and other products that can replace fossil raw materials.
We shall start opening the course in parts as they are finished. You can find updated info regarding the opening dates from the project homepage in the news section.
How to sign in?
The Future of Biorefining learning environment is free and open for everyone. You only need to sign in to get started. Here are step by step instructions on how to sign in.
- Go to https://open-learn.xamk.fi/
- You can change the language from the top
- Sign up from the upper right corner
- Agree the Agreement of use
- Fill in the required fields
- Confirm the email address in your email
- Log in with your username and password
- Search for the course: The Future of Biorefining
- All three modules can be accessed through this course.
Opening time schedule
Module 1: Separation and purification processes in biorefineries
Mass transfer – now open
Distillation – now open (level 3 opening in Q1 2023)
Crystallization – now open
Adsorption – now open
Membrane technology – now open
Simulated moving bed – open in Q1 2023
Module 2: Process design and analysis
Conceptual process design – open in Q1 2023
Life cycle assessment – now open
Module 3: Conversion technologies
Dawn technology – now open
Ray technology – now open
Xylitol/Fodder yeast production – now open
Lignin nanospheres – now open (level 3 opening 2023)
Lignin activated carbon – now open
JOIN THE PILOTING GROUP!
We are searching for voluntary evaluators to test the course and give valuable feedback. Participation in the evaluation phase is optional and requires no preliminary knowledge or expertise. We will use the feedback to develop and further improve the course material and usability. The feedback is gathered with a short survey on the platform after each section. The survey contains three question areas: platform usability, course material content, and further feedback. Please take time to open the answers also in your own words. Your feedback is very valuable and will help us to create learning material that will make a difference.
The feedback is automatically gathered in the platform and other users don’t have access to the answers.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 869993.