The Future of Biorefining
DIGITAL LEARNING ENVIRONMENT FOR BIOREFINING
The IMPRESS e-platform called the Future of Biorefining is an online learning environment that combines the main conversion and separation technologies applied in the IMPRESS project as well as methods for the overall environmental and techno-economic analysis.
It will enhance your knowledge on biorefinery technology and downstream processing, including various kinds of separation and purification technologies as well as process design and analysis.
The course is intended for next generation employees and supports lifelong learning. The course material has been generated in a way that it can be accessed by university students and employees, industrial operators and engineers, technical professionals and anyone who wishes to expand their knowledge on biorefining.
The target groups vary greatly in terms of background knowledge and therefore the courses are designed to include different levels according to the target group. This multi-level hierarchy structure supports individual learning paths which is characteristic for lifelong learning.
The content is divided in three separate modules:
- The first module deals with the separation processes required in biorefineries and the theory behind them; basics of mass transfer, distillation, crystallization, adsorption and simulated moving bed technology (SMB), and membrane filtration.
- The second module deals with process design and analysis. The module is divided into two parts; conceptual process design (CPD) and life cycle assessment (LCA).
- The third module deals with the processing of biomass into sugars and other products that can replace fossil raw materials. These include conversion technologies such as the Dawn technology™ and the Ray technology™, as well as production of xylitol/fodder yeast, lignin nanosphere and lignin activated carbon.
How to sign in?
The Future of Biorefining learning environment is free and open for everyone. You only need to sign in to get started. Here are step by step instructions on how to sign in.
- Go to https://open-learn.xamk.fi/
- You can change the language from the top
- Sign up from the upper right corner
- Agree the Agreement of use
- Fill in the required fields
- Confirm the email address in your email
- Log in with your username and password
- Search for the course: The Future of Biorefining
- All three modules can be accessed through this course.
USING THE MATERIAL
The content of the course has been created in co-operation with the IMPRESS project partners with funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 869993.
The material consists of new material solely generated for this purpose using public references, as well as modifying and applying existing material from the partners and external parties/sources.
Right for the distribution of the material via the IMPRESS online course as part of the course material has been agreed with the project partners and original creators. However, the copyright remains with the original creators. All the material in the Future of Biorefining educational platform is available for the course participants after sign in. All course content (such as .ppt slides and videos) marked with copyright, all rights reserved, may not be reproduced, distributed or transmitted in any form or by any means without the prior written permission of the owner.
The Future of Biorefining – Learning material that will make a difference.
This project has received funding from the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No 869993.