Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is 3 months. The first start is 5th September 2023.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: –
Lecturer: Course is completed independently
Credited in degree at Xamk: Degree Programme in Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 17.12.2023.
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
At the end of this course you:
- know the concept of acute and persistent pain in children and adolescents.
- recognize the important role of parents.
- can evaluate how to communicate about pain with children in different ages when they have pain.
- can analyze the circumstances and risks when child has pain symptoms.
- are able to take into account the complex nature of pain when you as a professional work with families.
Contents and methods:
- How acute pain becomes persistent/chronic.
- Bio-psycho-social aspects of pain.
- Fear-avoidance in pain.
- Developmental perspectives in childhood and adolescence when child/adolescent has pain.
- The role of parenthood in alleviating pain of the child.
All work is independent, and the students will proceed at their own pace. You proceed in the course by listening to a recorded lecture, reading e-material and accomplishing assignments. There are five assignments. The teacher gives you short feedback along the course after you have accomplish the assignments.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Study material: Study material is available as e-material on the course platform.
Transcript of records will be delivered by request by email in PDF form.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).