Information on Open UAS studies
Studies at Open University of Applied Sciences are available for all, regardless of age and educational background.
Studies at Open University of Applied Sciences (OUAS) cover the same courses as Xamk students complete as part of their bachelor’s and master’s degree studies. Studies completed through OUAS can be recognised later in case of starting degree programme studies, for example, at Xamk. Open UAS studies meet the aims and requirements of degree programme studies, but do not result in a degree. In case certain courses involve requirements or recommendations for prior know-how and skills, such information is listed in Xamk OUAS Course calendar. There are also studies in Finnish and in Russian.
Xamk OUAS arranges studies in different ways: completely online, as blended studies with a few contact teaching days and as full-time path studies with contact teaching on weekdays between 8.00 and 18.00. Studies usually follow a tight, predefined timetable with prescheduled deadlines for learning assignments.
Note! Multi-factor authentication will be activated 29th March 2022. Read more.
Enrolment for OUAS studies takes place through Xamk’s Course calendar.
- Course calendar shows Open UAS studies available for enrolment. There can also be studies of Continuing education with specific pricing.
- Course calendar shows the course contents. Please enrol through the Course calendar’s link Enrol by entering your personal and contact data.
- Please note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
- Enrolment ends approximately 2 to 4 weeks before the course start.
- Enrolments on courses are accepted in the enrolment order, and enrolment is binding.
If the course is full, you can enter your name on a waiting list. You receive an email in case more students can be admitted later. The email notification you receive includes a link for confirming your enrolment. This must be done within 24 hours. As changes can take place quickly, please keep following your email, including the spam folder, right after entering your name on the waiting list.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example. Studies in English are listed in Course calendar, and studies in Finnish are available through this link.
- Xamk OUAS courses are implemented when there are enough enrolments during the enrolment period.
- Information on the course start or its cancellation is always sent through email (not through traditional post).
- Course invitation is sent approximately a week before the course start.
- Course invitation includes for example information on teachers, Xamk online services and IDs and the instructions for accessing the online learning platform of the course.
- Single courses cost EUR 12 per 1 ECTS credit. If you prefer this option, choose the enrolment form’s alternative Open UAS course X ECTS credits.
- If you choose for example three courses of 5 ECTS credits, the semester fee is more affordable than paying for all three courses separately. In that case, please choose the checkbox Semester fee on the enrolment form.
- Make this same selection for all your enrolments so that you are invoiced only once during one semester.
- Semester fee entitles you to study either during the spring or autumn semester (studies starting between 1 January and 31 July or between 1 August and 31 December).
- Semester fee is meant for you in case you take path studies or otherwise several courses during one semester.
- Courses can also involve additional payments for materials or tests for different permits or qualifications, for example.
- Please note that if you have chosen the semester fee of EUR 175 and the sum of your single courses is less than EUR 175 there is no reimbursement for the difference.
- You can enrol for OUAS studies for the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester, covering courses with or without a charge as well as all bases for payment.
- Semester or study module fees of the Diploma for Higher Education do not entitle you to choose additional studies from the OUAS course selection.
- Important notice for students of other higher education institutions in Finland. Notice that course fees are charged for students of other higher education institutions in Finland. Finland has two types of higher education institutions: universities and universities of applied sciences (UAS). Note however that Xamk Pulse studies are free for students at Finnish upper secondary schools and vocational schools (in Finnish lukio, ammattiopisto and kansanopisto).
- Xamk Pulse studies are free of charge for:
- students at Finnish upper secondary schools and vocational schools (in Finnish lukio, ammattiopisto and kansanopisto).
- Xamk graduates with graduation after 1st January 2021 for a period of two years after graduation. Notice that a copy of the Bachelor’s or Master’s degree certificate should be attached in the enrolment form.
- Additional payments fees for materials or tests for different permits or qualifications, which may apply in some courses, are charged to all students.
- Each semester we offer a wide variety of courses that are free of charge to everyone.
- You can cancel your enrolment for a single course free of charge by emailing us at the address email@example.com 30 days before the course start at the latest.
- In case of Nonstop start courses, which have no specific enrolment time, the enrolment cannot be cancelled free of charge. In case you are not able to participate in the course, please inform by emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- In case you have not cancelled your enrolment according to the cancellation terms, the course fee is charged in full.
- Please note that the course fee is also charged, when you discontinue studies or do not start completing them at all.
Free-of-charge right to cancel enrolment for path studies ends a couple of days after the last enrolment date. Information on the date when enrolment can be cancelled free of charge is either listed in Course calendar’s brochure for the studies or in the course invitation message we send before the studies start
Cancelling enrolment for path studies must be made by emailing us at email@example.com.
Information on studies
- The extent of studies and student workload required is described in ECTS credits. One ECTS credit equals 27 hours of student work.
- Usually one course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work, and equalling to approximately 17 workdays.
- The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
- Blended studies include approximately 2 to 3 days of contact teaching per month.
- Studies also include independent learning online.
Online learning means studying through an online learning environment according to the teacher’s instructions. Studies do not include contact teaching on campus.
Depending on the course online learning can involve:
- realtime lectures online, for example, through Adobe Connect or Teams: In such cases you need headphones and a microphone.
- recorded lectures available through an online learning environment: These lectures you can watch according to your own timetable.
- written learning assignments: These assignments can have predefined deadlines.
- group tasks
- online exams
As a student you are responsible for getting to know the learning environment and the course materials, for participating in discussions and for completing the assignments required on time. When working in groups you are responsible for your own part in completing the assignments, and commitment to group work is required.
Online learning is not an easy way of achieving ECTS credits. It requires as much as work as traditional studies. When studying online, please plan your use of time and make time for studies.
- Xamk OUAS recommends using either desktop computers or laptops for studies. Some courses can involve assignments that cannot be completed with tablets or smartphones.
- The online learning environment Learn works best with the Mozilla Firefox browser.
- During your studies Xamk provides you with an Outlook email account, enabling the use of Office365 applications. This means that you do not need to have a wordprocessing program of your own, for example.
UAS studies include various written assignments that require mastering correct spelling, text type specific features and professional style. Text types involved include for example exam answers, lecture diaries, summaries, essays, research plans and reports. Please make use of the ready-made templates for writing, available on the intranet Lux. The same webpage also provides access to Xamk’s Reporting and Referencing guidelines as well as a PowerPoint template in Xamk style and outlook.
When writing for study-related purposes it is important that you produce the text by yourself, as copying others’ text, ie. plagiarism, is against Xamk’s Ethical guidelines for studies. There is the Urkund online service in use for monitoring, if course assignments include copied parts. Xamk’s Ethical guidelines for studies define Xamk’s values as well as students’ rights and responsibilities. These guidelines also explain the procedures for cases of students’ misconduct or inappropriate behaviour.
DURATION OF STUDY RIGHT
Students’ right to study bases on the duration of the courses. Courses must be completed by their end date. It is not possible to postpone the right to study until the next time the course is implemented, for example, until the next semester.
Courses can include exams either on campus or online. Failed courses or their parts cannot be retaken more than two times. More information on retake exams and enrolment instructions is available through intranet Lux. Failing to pass the course through two retakes means completing the entire course again.
Open UAS studies provide a great opportunity to combine work and studies. At OUAS you can study flexibly while working. There are also different options for funding, if you live permanently in Finland.
In case of unemployment or considering a study leave, please read more about the funding options available by Employment Fund and TE Services through the links below. As studies at Open UAS do not result in a degree, you are not entitled to Kela’s study-related social benefits.
User identification and authentication
- Xamk user ID allows accessing the following online services:
- the intranet Lux
- the student email
- the Learn learning environment
- the Peppi system for student registration
- Xamk computers on the campuses in Kotka, Kouvola, Mikkeli and Savonlinna
- To be able to get a Xamk ID you need a Finnish bank account and eBanking codes or mobile certificate authentication. In case you do not have eBanking authentication, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Xamk ID is valid as long as you study at Xamk OUAS. In case you discontinue or complete your studies, the ID is deactivated.
In case of problems in getting a Xamk username and/or setting a password, or if the ones you received do not work, please notify us immediately through the Xinfo helpdesk service.
Multi-factor authentication will be activated on 29th March 2022.
Starting from 29th March 2022 each student must perform a multi-step authentication once. When you log in to the Microsoft 365 portal, you will be directed to a form where you can enter the phone number you want and the method of authentication. You can safely use your phone number here, as the number will not be stored in any visible location, but will only be used for multi-step authentication in the future. When you’re signing in to your Xamk account, you can sign in either with an incoming text message on your phone or with a separate Authenticator app.
In case of problems in completing the multi-factor authentication, please enter a ticket into Xinfo-Helpdesk.
Getting Xamk ID and a password
If you already have an active Xamk ID − a username and a password − new ones are not needed.
You can access Xamk’s Identity Service to get a username after your information has been registered. After this there is a delay. If the username is not available rightaway, please wait for 24 hours and try again.
In case of forgetting your password, you can set a new one through the link Xamk Identity Service.Xamk Identity Service
Students' online services at Xamk
- Enrolment to a course results in a course invitation message with instructions for getting a username for Xamk’s online services.
- Xamk ID is valid as long as your study right and allows you to access all Xamk’s online services.
Learn and Open Learn
- The online learning environments of Xamk OUAS studies are called Learn and Open Learn.
- The course invitation you receive to your email after admission includes instructions for accessing the Learn / Open Learn course platform.
- After accessing the course platform you receive all messages concerning the course to your student email.
- All course-related messages from the course platform, such as Discussion messages and the teacher’s messages, go to your student email. The default email on Learn is always the Xamk student email. This default will not change, even though you would change your email on Learn. The change is not saved, and the default setting is restored, when you access Learn the next time. In case you want to forward the student email messages to another email address, please read and follow the instructions below.
- All Xamk students automatically receive a student email account. You can access the student email through the Lux intranet or this direct link.
- Accessing student email takes place with a login that follows the form email@example.com. For example, the login could be firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Teachers only use the Xamk student email addresses for communication. It’s therefore important to follow the student email regularly or forward the student email messages to the address you use. You can forward Xamk student email messages to your own email address as follows:
- After accessing your email, please click on the Wheel icon to choose the following: Settings > Mail on the left-hand side > Forwarding > Enable forwarding > enter the forwarding email address > Save.
LUX – Xamk students’ intranet
- Accessing the Lux intranet makes available all important services, such the Learn learning environment, student email and the Peppi system.
- Lux gives you access to downloading the ready-made templates for writing learning assignments.
- Also Xamk’s Ethical guidelines for studies are available on Lux.
The Peppi system and student number
- Xamk’s system for registering students is called Peppi. All Xamk students are registered on this system.
- Registering on Peppi gives all Xamk students a student number. You may need this student number, for example, in returning learning assignments.
- When you access Peppi, a box first appears with the heading Study right information. The box first lists your name followed by a 7-digit number which is your student number.
- Open UAS students do not have a specific group number. In case you need to insert a group number, for example, in the ready-made writing templates, you can enter as group number Open OUAS.
- Peppi also enables printing an official transcript of records by yourself in case the grade is already entered on Peppi before your Xamk ID becomes inactive.
- Teachers have a month for the assessment after the course end date.
- In case you receive the grade later, you can always ask the Xamk OUAS customer service for the transcript of records through the email address email@example.com.
transcript of records
Did you complete your Xamk OUAS studies? Congratulations! Completed studies can result in recognition of prior learning (RPL), if you later continue with us as a degree programme student. You may also need the transcript of records to provide employers or financiers of the studies with a proof that you completed the studies.
Please note that teachers have one month after the course end date for assessment. Completed ECTS credits are registered in the Peppi system after that date. There are different alternatives for you to order the transcript of records: You can print the transcript of records by yourself through Peppi, fill in an order form, contact Xamk’s Open UAS or directly transfer the ECTS credits to your own higher education institution.
Creating the transcript of records on Peppi
In case your Xamk ID is still active, you can create an official electronic transcript of records by yourself. Login to Peppi system -> on front page ‘Orders’. Please remember that teachers have a month after the end date for assesment and entering the grades.
Order form for the transcript of records
In case a longer time has passed since completing the studies, you can always ask our OUAS customer service for the transcript of records. You can order the transcript through the link below or through the email address firstname.lastname@example.org.
ECTS credit transfer through Puro service
Are you studying at another higher education institution (HEI) and completed studies at Xamk? It can be possible for you to electronically transfer the ECTS credits to your own HEI through Puro service. Please use the link below to check if your own HEI is listed on the Puro login page.
In case your own HEI is not listed at Puro service, you can always ask our OUAS customer service for the transcript of records through the email address email@example.com.
Your learning experiences through social media or blog posts
Xamk Open UAS is interested in our students' experiences of studies. Please tell us about your studies of Open UAS and Continuing Education. You can share your experiences through social media or blog posts.Read more about sharing your experiences