Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 40
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: Note that this course is a Master's level course. It is recommended that the student has previously completed a Bachelor's degree or has equivalent level of knowledge.
Lecturers: Xamk lectures
Credited in degree at Xamk: All Bachelor level degrees
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 23rd April 2023
Price: EUR 12 / credit or semester fee EUR 175. You can read more about our payment policy here.
Please, notice that the fee for one semester will not be refunded, if the combined fees for your chosen studies remain below EUR 175 or you cancel your studies.
Note that you can enrol for Xamk Pulse Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice that Xamk degree students can enrol on this course only via Peppi or Tuudo.
This course constists of the following three parts:
- General part
- Field-spesific part
- Description and analysis of one's own research/development task
Content of common learning outcomes (2 ECTS credits):
- What are the phases into which a research and development process can be divided?
- How do you find, read and critically evaluate the research data of your own field?
- How do you write a literature review that utilizes reliable research data and is linked to your own field and thesis following the principles of ethical scientific communication?
Degree programme -specific content (3 ECTS credits):
- What are the key research subjects and development needs in your own field?
- What are the development approaches and/or research methods in your own field and how do you apply them in practice based on the development needs of your own field?
- How do you report a research or development process following the principles of ethical professional and scientific communication in your own field?
Contents and methods:
After completing this course the student is able to:
- use professional concepts of research and development
- assess critically the sourse of information
- select the appropriate models, methods and technologies and validate his/her selection
- apply the bases of research ethics
The course assignments will be submitted in two lots, deadlines on 31st May and 7th August 2023. An optional online lesson (Zoom) on writing the literature review will be held on Monday 15th May 2023 4:30-6 pm.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Study material will be available in Learn elearning platform.
Assessment methods and criteria:
The course grade is based on the description and analysis of one's own research/development task. Other parts are graded pass/fail.
Transcript of records will be delivered automatically by email in PDF form. You can read more about the Transcript of records on: Information on Open UAS studies
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Xamk Pulse Open University of Applied Sciences office, firstname.lastname@example.org.
Terms of cancellation:
You can cancel your enrolment free of charge 30 days before the course starts. If you have not cancelled by the due date, we will charge the full cost of the course. Cancellation by email to email@example.com.
Before the course starts, you'll receive a course invitation by email.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).