Time: Students can start their studies approximately within a week after enrolling on this course. The estimated time for completing this course is three months. Notice that the first nonstop start is on 9th January 2024.
Please notice that Xamk’s lecturers do not assess completed courses nor enter the course assessments in Xamk’s record of credits (Peppi) during their non-teaching periods. In summer, completed courses will not be assessed between June 1st and August 18th, 2024.
Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places:
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Course is completed independently
Credited in degree at Xamk: Degree Programme in Nursing
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 23.6.2024
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that
Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
After this online course, you will know about the health challenges facing mothers and children in developing countries. In addition, you will strengthen your competence when working in health care abroad or in Finland with immigrants. Mothers' and children’s follow-up takes account of the challenges in developing countries.
- You will know about the most common health problems of developing countries as to pregnancy, postpartum and young children
- You will be able to take care of pregnant mothers and under two-year-old children in developing countries and among immigrants in Finland
- You will deepen your knowledge of mothers and children with disabilities in developing countries
Contents and methods:
- Health challenges of mothers and children in developing countries
- Observing the health of mother and foetus and identify risk factors related to pregnancy and childbirth
- The follow-up of mother's postnatal health and the follow-up of the growth and development of children under two years of age
- Breastfeeding as a child's health promoter
- People with disabilities
The course will be carried out 100 % online. You work independently studying the material, take part of online discussions, and tests.
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
Study material: You can find the study material on Learn.
To accomplish this course the student must pass all online discussions and tests.
The Transcript of records will be delivered automatically by email in PDF form. You can read more about the The Transcript of records on: Information on Open UAS, Xamk Pulse studies.
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Xamk Pulse, email: email@example.com.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).