Employees of Peter the Great St.Petersburg Polytechnic University (SPbPU) Olga Kalchenko and Olga Konovalova organized a working trip on the Russian part of the King`s Road on November 20, 2021. 14 people were invited to the tour. This trip was accompanied by Mikhail Uvarov, a historian, an employee of the Ingria travel company. The route was laid through 16 settlements, it was possible to visit several attractions of the King`s Road. Here are some of them.
1. The Lutheran Church of the Transfiguration of the Lord in Zelenogorsk town.
In 1907-1908, a stone Evangelical Lutheran church was built by architect Josef Stenbeck, consecrated in 1908. After 1940, the church served the Soviet society as a cinema. In the 90s, the Prayer House was returned to the faithful. The church is a monument of cultural heritage of Russia.
2. The Stirsudden Lighthouse (pointing) is an active lighthouse on the northern shore of the Gulf of Finland, at Cape Stirsudden.
This is the third lighthouse. The first wooden lighthouse was built on this site in 1872 by order of Admiral of the Fleet Grand Duke Konstantin.
3. The fortified area of the Inkil of the Mannerheim line (Primorsky urban settlement).
The complex of defensive structures in Finland was built during the 1920s- 1930s and consisted of an elongated system of defense nodes, each of which included several wood-earth field fortifications and long-term stone-concrete structures, as well as anti-tank and anti-personnel barriers. Long-term firing points (LFP) No. 6 and 7 LFPs are located on different sides of the Primorsky Highway. They had running water, sewerage and forced ventilation.
4. “Dragon’s Teeth” tank barrier (fortification).
5. The Lutheran Church of St. Mary Magdalene (Primorsky Museum of Local Lore) in the Primorsk town.
The former Lutheran church was built in the early XX century in the style of Finnish national Romanticism. The exterior walls of the monumental building are made of local reddish granite rocks, and the roof is made of electroplated tin. Huge windows stand out, where stained glass windows on biblical themes were previously installed. Gothic spire of the church is visible with a height of about 60 meters.
6. The estate of the Nobel Alakiryal family in the Landyshevka village with a Gothic well, old stables and manor houses in the style of Finnish Art Nouveau.
7. Split boulder “Broken heart” in the Landyshevka village (near Sovetsky town).
There is a huge boulder on the picturesque coast of the Gulf of Finland. According to legend– this is a heart split from unhappy love. There is a rather large crack inside the stone, into which, if desired, you can even climb.
8. Trongzund Fort in the Vysotsk town.
The remains of an ancient defensive system of the XIX century, located on the outskirts of the Vysotsk town. Currently, the territory of the fortress is overgrown with forest. Earthen ditches, gorges and interior spaces lined with granite blocks have been preserved, most of them in a ruined state.