Open Research Culture in South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences
We promote the open science and research culture.
–XAMK strategy 2018-2030
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences promotes open research culture. With it, the aim is to make the produced information and competences visible and disseminate them to interested parties in a controlled manner.
Open research culture concerns all individuals at Xamk, including researchers, project actors, teachers, students and other personnel. In Xamk, open research culture development is promoted by a working group that consists of representatives of RDI personnel, library and information services as well as education.
Xamk’s Open Science Principles
- Know-how and skills made visible
- Data management planning
- Systematic management and opening up of the research process
- Taking the usability of the results into account when drawing up contracts
- Data retention
- Open access publishing of research data
- Opening up the reuse of data
- Creating and sharing open learning material that is available for all
- Data lifecycle management as a part of the thesis process
- Joint activities of the scientific community
- To increase the quality, reliability, visibility and accessibility of operations
- To improve the verifiability, open evaluation and quality of research
- To promote the effects and impact of the research results regionally and in the whole society
- To ensure that the methods, data, results and outputs of the projects are available in a controlled manner
- To enable new kind of cooperation and innovation
- To support cooperation opportunities and gaining merit
- To promote good information management
- To improve the efficiency of operations
- To enable the involvement of companies, decision-makers and citizens in research
OPEN ACCESS PUBLISHING
Xamk is committed to open science principles in its publishing. In the instructions, we demand the open science principles, and openness is required (instructions and guides). Xamk’s publication series are available for everyone to read in Theseus and Xamk’s online journals Next and Read operate on the open access principle. In addition, Xamk’s webpages provide more information about the publications. Link to publication webpages.
We use Theseus for self-achiving. In Xamk, self-archiving is systematic. Scientific articles are saved in Theseus only in cases, in which they do not lead to copyright infringements.
- Next online journal
- Read online journal
- Theseus – the theses and publications of the Universities of Applied Sciences on the Internet
OPEN DATA IN XAMK
Interfaces Xamk provides data sets for public use through open data interfaces. The interfaces are public, but their use requires registration and using a key obtained through it to search information.
- Data management plan. Xamk uses a tool called DMPTuuli to make data management plans. New instructions for research data retention are being prepared.
- Digital preservation. Xamk’s digital preservation and archiving system Yksa is currently being developed. The goal is to enable the opening of data in the future. Xamk’s data policy will be completed in 2020.
- Monitoring openness. Xamk follows the volume of open access publishing with Juuli and the openness of the theses with Yksa and Theseus. These are a part of the library’s permanent statistics from 2020 onwards. The visibility of research is reviewed through, for example, media hits related to RDI activities and the number of downloads of publications.
Model contracts. Model contracts can be found in Xamk’s intra and they are open for Xamk’s personnel. The contracts take financial conditions into consideration and aim at publishing and disseminating the results as widely as possible
XAMK’S RDI ENVIRONMENTS AND INFRASTRUCTURES
RDI environments and infrastructures are an essential part of higher education institutions’ competences and they support both education, and research and innovation activities. We are clarifying service principles while the infrastructure is being opened. We do research and development cooperation within the laboratories and infrastructure. From the Services for Companies pages you can find Xamk’s services, equipment, specialists and networks gathered into one place.
Policy of openness of cooperation. You can find information on partnerships on every projects’ own webpages. RDI activities.
Future training events for staff and students
- 24.9.2019 TKI-roadshow, incl. publication issues, research ethics
- 26.9.2019 TKI-roadshow, incl. publication issues, research ethics
See future training events here.
You can get more information or ask questions through this form.