Welcome to Xamk
Xamk is a higher education institution offering studies in English in many different study fields. We have campuses in the towns of Kotka, Kouvola, Mikkeli and Savonlinna, all of which are located in the beautiful region of South-Eastern Finland. The Department of Social Services and Health Care in Savonlinna offers education in nursing and social services.
Nurse students from Xamk’s partner institutions are welcome to apply for exchange studies and practical training in Savonlinna. In some cases, double degree studies (in Savonlinna and Mikkeli) are also available.
If you wish to have more information about the content of the programme or courses available, please, contact Lea Reponen, lea.reponen(at)amk.fi
Practical training possibilities
In Savonlinna, nurse students from Xamk’s partner institutions mainly do practical training. The placements available vary during the year but can include, for instance, placements in home care or maternity and child health clinics as well as training in medical/surgical nursing or in an emergency department. Please, state out the areas of your interest in your application and we will do our best to find the most suitable placements for you.
Modes of mobility
Nurse exchange students on the Savonlinna Campus are offered a few theoretical courses in English but most foreign students in Savonlinna mainly do only practical training.
The courses generally available to nurse exchange students are the following (please, note that the list is subject to changes):
- AV00DN02-3003 Health promotion and global health, 5 credits (online; 2 credits possible to do in contact teaching)
- AV00EJ13-3003 Nursing of children and young persons, 3 credits (online)
- AV00DX04-3006 Sexual health and rights, 5 credits (online)
- AV00ES62-3001 Maternity and woman’s nursing, 3 credits (online)
- AV00EG55-3003 Nutrition for sports and physical activity, 5 credits (online)
- AV00EE06-3009 Respiratory and cardiovascular rehabilitation, 5 credits (online)
- AV00EG62-3004 Cognitive functions in neurological diseases, 5 credits (online)
Double degree studies
The double degree programme in nursing is part of a full-time nursing programme. The double degree programme offers students the opportunity to enhance their expertise in different tasks of social and healthcare environments. Students can also strengthen their entrepreneurship skills and international competence. The studies are practical and work-oriented. Modern learning methods support students’ communication and co-operative team-work skills.
Only the students of the partner institutions with whom we have a valid double degree agreement can participate in the double degree studies. If you are interested in the double degree programme but you come from a university which is not listed among our double degree partner institutions, please, contact the responsible coordinator.
Degree: Bachelor of Health Care
Extent of the degree: 210 ECTS credits
List of double degree partner institutions:
- Kaunas University of Applied Sciences, Lithuania (Mikkeli and Savonlinna campuses)
- Rangsit University, Thailand (Savonlinna campus)