The oil spill training programme aims to utilize new educational methods; e-learning and simulator based training. In addition to fully exploiting the existing navigational bridge simulators, an entirely new oil recovery simulator has been developed. This simulator is designed to model the oil recovery process; recovery method, rate and volume.
The new simulator enables the creation of a comprehensive training programme covering training tasks from a distress call to the completion of an oil spill response operation. Integration of a navigational bridge simulator and the new oil recovery simulator creates a unique learning environment in which the marine oil spill response operations can be demonstrated and new response methods tested.
The structure of the training programme, as well as the training objectives, are based on competence and education surveys (see publications below). The training programme has been piloted twice during the project. The shifts in competence levels of the participants were evaluated in order to demonstrate the actual efficiency of the training. The results convinced that the simulator training is a viable tool to improve the operational capability of the responders.
Project is funded by European Social Fund ESF, European Regional Development Fund ERDF, Finnish Maritime Foundation, Palosuojelun Edistämissäätiö and William & Ester Otsakorpi Foundation.
- Halonen, J. & Lanki, A. 2019. Efficiency of Maritime Simulator Training in Oil Spill Response Competence Development. Accepted by TransNav 2019 Scientific Programme Committee of 13th International Conference on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation. Article in TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 13, No. 1, pp. 199-204. DOI: 10.12716/1001.13.01.20
- Halonen, J. (toim.) 2018. Öljyntorjunnan simulaatiokoulutus. SCAROIL-hankkeen osaprojektin loppuraportti. Kaakkois-Suomen ammattikorkeakoulun julkaisuja, Xamk Kehittää 58. Kotka. ISBN: 978-952-344-121-7.
- Pelastustieto 9.4.2018: Öljyntorjuntaan uusi tapa kouluttaa
- Rantavuo, E.; Malinen, H.; Halonen, J.; Lanki, A. & Punnonen, J. 2018. Oil Spill Response Simulator Training – Realistic Enough To Improve Response Capability? Lessons Learnt From Pilot Courses. Short Paper. Interspill 2018 Conference. Lontoo 13-15.3.2018. Interspill 2018 Conference Proceedings.
- Halonen, J.; Rantavuo, E. & Altarriba, E. 2017. Öljyntorjuntakoulutuksen ja -osaamisen nykytila. SCAROIL-hankkeen selvitys öljyntorjunnan koulutustarpeista. Xamk Tutkii. Nro 4. Kaakkois-Suomen ammattikorkeakoulu. URN:ISBN:978-952-344-066-1.
- Halonen, J.; Lanki, A. & Rantavuo, E. 2017. New Learning Methods for Marine Oil Spill Response Training. Full Paper. Accepted by TransNav 2017 Scientific Programme Committee of 12th International Conference on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation. Article in TransNav, the International Journal on Marine Navigation and Safety of Sea Transportation, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 153-159.