Place: Online studies
Extent: 5 ECTS credits
Number of study places: 70
Target group: Everyone interested in the topic
Required previous skills: Prior skills in the Finnish language are not a requirement, but attending the course requires English skills enabling academic studies and some IT-skills. Additionally students are expected to have good independent study skills.
Lecturer: Xamk lecturer
Credited in degree at Xamk: All bachelor level degrees
Area of competence mentioned in Curriculum: Optional studies
Enrolment by: 23rd April 2023
Price: Free of charge
Note that you can enrol for Open UAS studies at the maximum of 50 ECTS credits per semester. One person’s enrolments exceeding 50 ECTS credits are deleted in the enrolment order. Paying attention to this is important when planning your studies.
Please also notice, that Xamk degree students cannot enrol on Open UAS courses.
- You are able to express yourself in Finnish in the most common everyday situations both orally and in writing.
- You have a command of simple phrases, basic clauses and vocabulary (CEFR level A1.1-A1.2) needed in situations such as introducing yourself and in service encounters.
- You are familiar with the most essential grammatical features, like vowel harmony, present tense of the verb types and partitive singular case, and can manage with the pronunciation and spelling.
- You are also able to expand your vocabulary and knowledge of language usage independently using different sources.
- You become more familiar with the Finnish culture.
Contents and methods:
- What kind of language is Finnish compared with other languages you know? What are the special features of Finnish?
- Which phrases and what kind of knowledge of Finnish language and culture are needed in everyday communication?
- Which sources and tools can you use in order to learn elementary Finnish during the course and independently?
- How to pronounce and spell in Finnish?
The course covers 5 ECTS credits, totalling 135 hours of student work. The number of hours is theoretical and varies according to student effort.
The course will be carried out by means of independent online studies. The course will be carried out by means of independent online studies. Additionally, the lecturer will be available on Zoom for replying to students' questions few times during the course. Attending the Zoom meetings is not compulsory for the students.
There will also be an exam at the end of the course. The exam dates will be given at the beginning of the course. All the assignments must be submitted following the given schedule by the end of the course.
- A Taste of Finnish. 2015. University of Helsinki. Available at: http://tasteoffinnish.fi/
- Other material provided on the Learn platform.
Assessment on a scale of 1-5 based on final examination and assignments.
Transcript of records will be delivered automatically by email in PDF form. You can read more about the Transcript of records on: Information on Open UAS studies
This course is based on the curricula of Xamk's degree programmes and the Finnish credits are fully compatible with the ECTS.
Additional information on enrolment:
Open University of Applied Sciences office, email: email@example.com.
Terms of cancellation:
If you are not able to participate in the course, please let us know as soon as possible by email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Before the course starts, you'll receive an invitation by email to this course.
Please note that there can be changes in the course details in terms of the timetable and teachers, for example.
South-Eastern Finland University of Applied Sciences is audited by the Finnish Education Evaluation Centre (FINEEC).